The History of Congregation Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel is among the oldest in Nassau County.
1907 First Minyan held in Hempstead – Jewish residents of Rockville Centre and Freeport joined.
First formal religious services held in Old Liberty Hall, Front and Liberty Streets, and succeeding services were held in Odd Fellows Hall, Utawanna Hall, corner of Main and Fulton Streets.
1910 First Sunday School started
1912 Hempstead hebrew Congregation officially organized. Also first Sisterhood formed.
1914 Purchase of land on Cenre St. for erection of Synagogue.
1915 Incorporation of hempstead Hebrew Congregation AKA Congregation Beth Israel
1922 Synagogue completed at 15 Centre Street
1930 School annex added
1933 Rabbi Harry E. Schwartz called to lead the congregation as a period of expansion and growth began
1944 Property acquired on Fulton Avenue for a new and larger synagogue
1947 Ground breaking for synagogue at 94 Fulton Avenue
1948 Adjoining property on Fulton Avenue acquired as a temporary school building
1950 March 26, dedication of synagogue at 94 Fulton, architecturally the most beautiful synagogue on Long Island
1957 Four floors of class and community rooms dedicated
1981 Congregation Beth Israel moved to present site at 141 Hilton Avenue
Congregation Beth Israel continues as one of the leading Egalitarian Conservative Synagogues on Long island